How to reach Sundarban from Kolkata
To reach the “beautiful forest”, i.e. the Sundarban tour from Kolkata one can travel by train, bus or car/cab. But to enjoy the Sundarban tour to the fullest, it is suggested to take a road trip via the famous Howrah Bridge to the Sundarban. Sundarban has Canning railway station nearby. Sundarban Tour from Canning is easily accessible. There are a few ways to reach Sundarban:
- One can take a bus or book a car and reach Godkhali by road. The distance from Kolkata to Godkhali Sundarban ferry ghat is approximately 105 km and takes about 4 hours to reach. They can then either hire a private or a shared boat to begin their sightseeing.
- One living outside Kolkata simply needs to get to the Howrah station by train and then they can take a bus or book a car and reach Godkhali by road. In case the train is not preferred one can also choose to reach Kolkata via a flight to the Dumdum airport and then continue the rest of the journey for the Sundarban tour by bus or car.
- Another way to reach Sundarban National Park from Kolkata is by taking a bus or booking a car from Science city, Kolkata and reaching Jharkhali Sundarban or Gosaba from where the UNESCO recognized World Heritage Sundarban National park started.
- One can also choose to take a train from Sealdah station to Canning. From there they can reach Sonakhali by an auto-rickshaw where they can hire a boat offered by the Mercury Tour Operator for the rest of the journey to the Sundarban National Park.
Places to visit in Sundarban tour from Kolkata
- Sundarban National Park and Sajnakhali Wildlife Sanctuary:
- One of the main attractions of Sundarban Tourism is the Sundarban National park which is a coastal mangrove forest, home for not only the Sundarban Royal Bengal tiger but also various endangered species like the estuarine crocodile and the Ganges river dolphin. If one turns up for a Sundarban tour with the sole purpose of getting the glimpse of the Sundarban Royal Bengal tiger then one might be disappointed because the sightings depend on various factors including time, weather and even luck. Other than that the National park is full of various types of local birds, fishing cats, leopard cats, flying fox, deer, wild boar, etc. There are watchtowers from where the birds and other animals are all visible for the visitors of Sundarban Package.
Netidhopani Watch Tower:
- Netidhopani is the home to an ancient Shiva temple and the Netidhopani Watch Tower allows the visitors to see the ruins of this ancient temple. Besides the temple, Netidhopani also allows its visitors am opportunity to get a glimpse of the royal Bengal tigers. There’s a belief among the locals that there was a road built by King Pratapaditya to guard the coastal areas. Also because of the ancient Hindu mythology of Behula-Lakhindar it is fun to spot the doorway or the stairs to heaven used by the famous Netidhopani to lead Behula to Heaven.
- Hiron Point, also known as Nilkamal is a splendid area for spotting not only “hiron”, i.e. deer but other animals like crocodiles, tigers, monkeys and different species of birds. It is a major tourist attraction because of its natural scenic beauty and it is a beautiful place to take some break from the sightseeing and resting for a bit. There a lounges and guest houses availed by the Sundarban tourism for such purposes.
Burirdabri Watch Tower:
- Why only see the Indian side of Sundarban when you are welcome to see Bangladesh from afar? Burir Dabri or the Burirdabri Watch tower allows visitors to watch the Bangladeshi Sundarban from the Indian side. River Raimongal flowing between India and Bangladesh marks the International boundary. One is free to walk over the wooden bridges through the mud cage to reach the wooden watch tower from where the Bangladeshi Sundarban can easily be seen. The beautiful scenery of the watch tower is also a reason for being a tourist attraction.
Sudhanyakhali Watch Tower:
- Most of the tigers in Sundarban can be spotted from the Sudhanyakhali Watch Tower as there is a water reservoir located right beside the tower where wild animals come to have water. This tower has a beautiful panoramic view of the Sundarban and well known for its natural beauty. Other than the royal Bengal tiger, one can expect sightings of other wildlife like the axis deer and crocodiles from this tower. This watch tower is located inside the forest area of Sundarban. Therefore, ferry is the only option to reach this place. A special permission from the forest department of the Sundarban tourism is required in order to enter this place. There is a Mangrove Interpretation Center where the visitors are welcome to come and identify various types of mangrove trees. Other than this, there is also a temple of the local Goddess Banbibi which the tourists are welcome to visit.
Dobanki Watch Tower:
- Have you ever wanted to go on a walk and just get a glimpse of a tiger as if you are neighbors? The Dobanki Watch Tower allows tourist such an experience. This watch tower is a half-kilometer canopy walk about 20ft from the ground covered in grill and strong nets to prevent any attacks from wild animals and therefore, is really safe. There is a sweet water pond right beside the watch tower which attracts a lot of tigers, deer and other wildlife. Visitors should always keep an eye for the beautiful and rare yet often spotted Brahminy kites. A Sundarban tour package is incomplete without a visit to the Dobanki Watch Tower.
Wish all visitors have a very enjoyable tour in the beautiful Sundarban tour from Kolkata by Mercury Tour Operator.